It is said that life is the toughest teacher of all; it stands true as everyone experiences a life lesson at some point in their lives. More often than not, we are surrounded by a lot of problems in life to the point where it is extremely hard to be positive about life. Being surrounded by negativity can be one of the most challenging things in our lives especially when trying to be positive. We want to stay focused on what feels good but it can seem difficult when the people around us are complaining and talking about what’s wrong with life, themselves, others and the world.
It is then that we undergo a test of our moral character and values. It is possible that when surrounded by negativity, it starts bothering you but the real trick is to accept the situation you are in so that you can learn to let go of things that may or may not be in your control. The idea is to dig deep to find out who you are and more importantly who you are in the face of adversities.
So here are some things that you can do to have a positive approach when you find yourself surrounded by negativity:
- Remember you Always Have a choice and that you can always alter it
- We can’t control what others say or do but we can step into our power and control ourselves with our thoughts, feelings and behaviours.
- Be aware of the triggers, topics or things that seem to pull you into negativity and decide not to discuss these topics or things unless you can say something that feels good.
- You can create and use a power phrase as a reminder when you feel negativity
- Envision and create something better. This can be done by simply focusing on something you love and appreciate.
There are always two sides to the coin. Similarly, you can’t be happy without feeling down as it is a part of our lives. Meditation is one of the most effective techniques that can help us be calm and collected in tough situations, which also teaches us how to let go. Also, visiting a therapist or a psychologist helps because when we open up to other people, we realise a sense of freedom, a sense of the weight being lifted off our shoulders. Even simply confiding in someone can help. In the end, our beliefs shape us and make us who we are in the face of adversities. If we say to ourselves that we can make it through a certain situation, then we surely will. Our thoughts shape our words, our words shape our actions and our actions shape our future. So to sum it up, we can say that it’s a practice to stay focused on what feels good but the more you do it the less likely you will be surrounded by negativity. And in the end you will find that it really won’t matter if you are surrounded by negativity because you know you have the power to feel good no matter what.